LATEST TEAM NEWS (last updated 20th July 2021)
Individual & Team competition is now resuming. For Full Track & Field dates please check our partner Club's (Yeovil Olympiad's) website. Local road and multi-terrain races organised by Somerset Clubs will be promoted in front page articles when we hear of them.
NOTE: If aged 11 and upwards you should ensure you have paid your England Athletics registration fee (£15) in advance of entering any event, as well as your Club Membership fee. (£20 seniors/£10 juniors). See Membership tab.
TRACK & FIELD COMPETITION
South of England Track & Field Championships 2021 Prospectus - please don't miss the entry dates if intending to compete! Click here
TEAM OPPORTUNTIES WITH YEOVIL OLYMPIADS:
SW League – dates now mainly finalised with League divided into two for fixtures to minimise travel over the summer months. YOAC (with Wells) will compete in the East League. See YOAC website for how the League works and contact YOAC team managers to advise you are available. u13 age group and upwards.
Southern Athletics League – YOAC (& Wells) competing in the South-west local division with Bournemouth AC, Team Dorset & Salisbury AC. Dates now finalised – see YOAC website for link to SAL website. u17 age group & upwards.
National Athletics League - Premier Division West - YOAC (& Wells) competing in the West region alongside Bristol & West, Swansea, Cardiff, & Yate - all fixtures this season at Yate. u17 age group & upwards. We are the only Somerset team competing in the National League.
For juniors (age 8-14) who attend our Monday evening training we will advise them on competition opportunities coming up & using the Millfield track facilities we will be able to prepare them for many of the track and field disciplines. Youngsters age 10+ should ensure they have England Athletics registration. For older juniors and seniors attending Tuesday training sessions, then the monthly session plans will take account of track opportunities coming up. All performances at official/licenced events will appear on the 'power of ten' website. Power of 10 (thepowerof10.info)
At Track & Field we compete as part of the joint team with Yeovil Olympiads. Their website will be the best to check for Track & Field League dates & contact details for the various age group team managers. We encourage all our track & field members to make themselves available at least once a month. If you attend a T&F event please send in a report for the web. (For Cross country & Road/multi-terrain races the YOAC members compete for Wells City Harriers)
ROAD & OFF-ROAD RACES
Please keep an eye on the RunBritain website or Fell Runner Association fixture list(s) as more races get organised in 2021. The front page web article will report on any new races organised by Clubs that come to our attention. we don't tend to promote commercial races as they dont promote our events. At training sessions there will be folk there who know of events coming up which they are intending to compete at, and as travel restrictions get eased with the easing of Covid restrictions, it may be possible to then arrange to share transport.
Wednesday 4th August Haselbury Trail Race (10k) now confirmed - check website for entry details
Monday 30th August Baltonsborough races (5miles & junior race of 1.5 miles) at end of August now confirmed - check weblink for entry
The Somerset Race Series may be re-formulated for 2021 but we have no details at the present time. The Harrier committee will be discussing which of the local races that the Club supports can happen in 2021.
Local 5km ParkRuns are due to return in July and are a good time-trial. (junior parkruns have been back already in some locations)
REPORTS FROM THIS YEAR 2021
June 2021 Somerset Schools Championships school year 8 & upwards - see Front page report
Last season 2020/21:
The SOUTHERN ROAD RELAYS were CANCELLED and so were the SOUTHERN CROSS COUNTRY RELAYS & MAIN SOUTHERN XC CHAMPIONSHIPS & the SOUTH WEST XC CHAMPONSHIPS - Road Relays come round again in September 2021 & XC is also likely to re-start then
CROSS COUNTRY NEWS -
TEAM MANAGERS NEEDED
As and when any team competitions recommence we will also require parents to volunteer for team management roles for road relays (and then the Cross-country season). Please let Graham or Simon know which age group you can manage.
PREVIOUS REPORTS FOLLOW From the 2019/20 season
The English National Cross Country Championships, 2020, took place at Woolaton Park, Nottingham on Saturday 22nd February - Well done to those Harriers who competed in these prestigious Championships.
Gwent XC League
We thank the organising Clubs and administrators of the League for their endeavours and work in the previous season. Many thanks too, to the Harriers who found the time to compete for the Club at this League (or indeed at the Wessex League).
Somerset County XC Championships, 2019, were held as part of the Tri-County Championships at the University of Bath On 1st December. See brief report and the photos from the races here
Sunday 5th January 2020 at Aldon Hill, Yeovil – South West XC Championships. Report & photos awaited from a parent who was present - please send to Paul.
XC CHAMPIONSHIPS - previous year (2018/19 season)
Sunday 9th December 2018: Somerset County Athletic Association Cross Country Championships at University of Bath. Report here
Sunday 6th January 2019: South West Regional Cross Country Championships at Aldon Hill, Yeovil. Report & Photos here
Saturday 23rd February 2019: English Cross Country Championships at Harewood House, Leeds - Information and entry details here.
2018/19 XC LEAGUE REPORTS FOLLOW:
First report of the season - Wessex League 1 (Canford Heath) and Gwent League 1 (Cardiff) -Report & photos
Second report of the season - Wessex League 2 (Lytchett Minster) - Report & photos
Third report of the season - Wessex League 3 (Aldon Hill) - Report & Photos
Fourth & Final Wessex League report - Bryanston & Series standings - following soon
many thanks to Neil Biss for great team management again this season!
10th November (Saturday) Pembrey Park No report submitted
2nd December (Sunday) Bryn Bach Park, Tredegar No report submitted
9th February (Saturday) Pontypool Park Report and photos here
2nd March (Saturday) Blaise Castle, Bristol Report & photos here
Please can parents or a senior that competes at Gwent League send any reports for the website - include all Harriers competing. Give the usual background detail about venue; weather; course conditions etc.
TRACK & FIELD We compete with our partner Club , Yeovil Olympiads, in various Leagues with fixtures throughout the summer months. All Harriers aged 11 and upwards should let team managers know of their availability for the monthly fixtures - most of which are held at Exeter.
All - check Yeovil Olympiad website fixture list for all our matches this summer & let the team managers know your availability as soon as possible. Try and compete for the joint team at least once a month.
PREVIOUS REPORTS - ROAD RELAYS
South of England Road Relays - Sunday 23rd September 2019 at Crystal Palace- Well done to all of the junior & senior Harrier teams at these prestigious relay races! This keeps up the tradition going back over 15-20 years. Report here
English (National) Road Relays - Saturday 6th October 2019 at Sutton Park. Another great effort by the u15 boys and u17 mens teams. Report here.
The successful u17 Harrier girls team at Crystal Palace - great running to finish 7th overall:
TRACK & FIELD
REPORTS from 2018:
British Mens Athletics League - Congratulations to the team on their promotion, confirmed after the 4th and final fixture:
Saturday 5th May at Yeovil. Some great performances - brief report here.
Saturday 2nd June at Portsmouth - brief report here
Saturday 7th July at Bedford - combined team remain in 2nd place with one fixture to go - brief report here
Saturday 4th August at Nottingham - brief report here - promotion gained!
South West Athletics League
Sunday 6th May - no report received
Sunday 3rd June - brief report here.
Sunday 8th July - brief report here
Sunday 5th August - South West Cup Match - results, report and any photos awaited
Sunday 2nd September - brief report here
We compete as YOAC on the track
England Athletics South West Track & Field Championships 2018 (Sunday 22nd July) - well done to all. Report here
Somerset County Athletic Association Track & Field Championships (12th & 13th May 2018) – Well done to all the Harriers and our team-mates from Yeovil Olympiads that competed in the Championships. Report available here. Link to results on power of ten and on County AA website here.
British Milers Club (BMC) Saturday 5th May 2018: Academy pb event at Millfield track: This traditional May bank Holiday track meeting was aimed at junior middle distance athletes, particularly over 800m & 1500m. Each race was a paced race with athletes entered into the race most suitable to them based on current pb. See the report here of how all of the Harriers achieved a personal best!
OFF ROAD RELAYS - reports from 2018
Sunday 20th May: Wessex Ridgeway Relays 100km - Full report and link to results here
Saturday 30th June: Cotswold Way Relay 103miles - Full report and photos here
Saturday 15th September Uphill to Wells Relay - 29 miles - details here - Oli Frost team managed and the team was succcessul (no report yet received)
Saturday 6th October: Parrett Trail Relays 80km - NOW CANCELLED FOR 2018 by Crewkerne Running Club
The off-road relays are events suitable for all abilities of senior Harriers. Where the Club pays the team entry, Team Managers are appointed by the Harrier Committee, and in that event the Team manager decides the strategy of either one 'fast' competitive team and one steadier team; or as has been the tradition at Wessex to date that both teams run together.
FELL RUNNING - reports from 2018
South of England Fell Running Championships - Held on Saturday & Sunday 15th & 16th September. Congratulations to Chris and Helen Kelsey - medal winners. see Report here.
PREVIOUS REPORTS & Photos where available
National Road Relays (Oct 2017)
Southern Road Relays (Sept 2017)
Wessex Cross-Country Match 1 (Oct 2017)
Wessex Cross-Country Match 2 (Oct 2017)
Gwent Cross-Country Match 1 (Oct 2017)
Wessex Cross-Country Match 3 (Nov 2017)
National Cross-Country Relays (Nov 2017)
SW Cross-Country Championships (Jan 2018)
ROAD, CROSS-COUNTRY & FELL RUNNING
Wells City Harriers – for road, fell running and cross-country events across the calendar
Members of Yeovil Olympiads compete as Wells City Harriers at the above disciplines.
Please ensure your Harrier or YOAC Club membership and England Athletics membership is fully paid up in order to join a team. (If aged 10 and under, no EA membership required)
COUNTY, REGIONAL & NATIONAL XC CHAMPIONSHIPS - The Championship season starts with the County Championships in December - all Harriers are encouraged to compete by entering on line at least 10 days before the event. After the New Year there are then the South-West and Southern Championships in January, and the National XC Championships follow on. All of these Championships have early deadlines.- don't miss them! It is the athletes responsibility to make sure they are entered.
SOMERSET COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIPS
Road Running Relay teams: Each September the Harrier committee appoints team managers to manage the teams that compete at the Southern & National 6, 4 & 3 stage road relays. Can you help? Parents have an important role to play by team-managing an age group.
The Harriers pay for these teams to compete. Teams are open to fully paid up Harrier members and it is important that the athlete (or their parent) ensures they have paid the EA membership fee well ahead of the event.
Off-road Relay teams: We enter teams in a number of long distance events, and we appoint team managers after discussion at the Harrier committee. They organise teams by recruiting at the training sessions and using the website to encourage all paid up members to be part of the team. Harrier members entry as part of the team is paid for by the Club. Only if we then have a gap will non-members be invited to join a Harrier team and are asked to pay a contribution.
Wessex Ridgeway Relay on Sunday mid-May (100km - teams of 6). We will need a team manager for 2021
Uphill to Wells Relay: Saturday in Mid September. Contact Oli Frost if you want to run in 2021
Parrett Trail Relay (Sat early October). This may return to the calendar.
Fell Running - Individual Harriers and occasionally a Harrier team go across to contest the South of England Fell Running Championships on the Isle of Wight - 3 races in one weekend! With the help of Ryde Harriers, Paul Chadwick administers these Championships on behalf of the SEAA.
TRACK & FIELD
Yeovil Olympiads- for Track & field events throughout the summer
Members of Wells City Harriers compete as Yeovil Olympiads on the track. For Senior men they can compete in the British Athletics League Div 4 (only club in Somerset in BAL); For Senior Men/Women/u17s they can compete in the Southern League; For all age groups from u13 through to seniors they can compete in the South West Athletics League.
Calendar of competition for the season is here
Team Managers for Track & Field here
KEY POINTS FOR THOSE NEW TO TRACK & FIELD – HOW THE SOUTH WEST ATHLETICS LEAGUE WORKS
- The South West League is the only League solely for clubs from the South West.
- In 2017 it operated as one division
- There are just four Sunday meets each year, held between late April and early September; and 1 Cup Meet usually held in the middle.
- The venues can vary but are most often in Exeter
- The league caters for male and female athletes in the following age groups: U13, U15: U17; U20 (men only) and Senior Men & Women.
- The events on offer for each age group change slightly from the A and B programmes which are alternated between fixtures.
- Two athletes compete in each event for each age group – A and B string plus up to 2 guests are allowed per event. U17W and U20M only A string.
- Points are scored in the A string as follows: 13 for a win, 12 for second, 11 for third etc. B string is 12 for a win, 11 for second etc. No points for guests.
- NOTE: If an A string athlete has to withdraw for any reason, the B string competitor must move up to take his/her place in order to score. I.e. the B string performance will only count if an A string has also competed.
- Teams are also awarded extra points for providing the required number of qualified officials, and are expected to officiate events as per a programme. Results are calculated per age group but it is the overall total which counts. Cups are awarded to the winning age group/club on an annual basis
THE ROLE OF THE CLUB
- Dates of fixtures are advertised from March in the newsletter, at training and on the web site. The Yeovil Olympiads website should carry the latest info but all made available to us at Wells Harriers will also go on the Harrier website.
- Coaches at the Harriers Monday session will remind juniors in the run up to each fixture, and athletes will be encouraged to make themselves available and to contact team managers
- All athletes who are old enough to compete are encouraged to do so, either as scoring athletes or guests. The League is the perfect opportunity for beginners to compete for the first time.
- Athletes are asked for confirmation of their availability and various phone calls/e-mails are made by the team managers to chase up athletes in the week before the competition.
- Team managers then select events for athletes – sometimes this has to be changed on the day because of last minute withdrawals.
- Depending upon the venue and numbers we also try to help out with transport, arrange lifts. YOAC often put a coach or minibus on if needed.
- On the day we aim to get to the venue 45 minutes before the first event.
- Letters and pins are given out on the day. Generally Y is for A string, YY for B string. Guests wear numbers; but note some variation in numbering where U20's compete with Seniors.
- The club has to provide a number of officials for different events throughout the day and once a year Yeovil host a fixture which means we need even more helpers from amongst parents.
THE ROLE OF THE ATHLETE
- To make a commitment to compete for the club in all team fixtures where possible.
- To contact the team manager for your age group to confirm your availability for selection at least by the Wednesday before the competition. PLEASE REMEMBER IT’S JUST ONE PHONE CALL/E-Mail FOR YOU TO MAKE BUT SEVERAL FOR THE TEAM MANAGER – TRY TO CONTACT the manager before they have to contact you.
- To show a willingness to compete in events other than your best or favourite
- Sometimes we might have four athletes all wanting to run the 100 metres in the same age group. The manager's job is to put out the strongest team and with only two scoring places available per event you may be asked to do a different event or stand in at the last minute if someone injures themselves on the day.
- To turn up to the competition and to your events in good time, and stay to the end of the competition for the RELAYS